We are passionate about both open data and open source. Our infrastructure hosts geoscientific research, software development, forecast post-production, data processing and weather data services. We have large storage and processing needs, a lot of this delivered by our on-site systems based on Lustre storage and HPC technology, with integrated solutions for visualization. We have storage based on Ceph, Swift and Lustre, and build services on top of our private OpenStack and Kubernetes cloud infrastructure. Important parts of our IT needs are served by different cloud vendors.
You will work with many of these technologies, and will become part of a community with exceptionally skilled colleagues. The department does important work supporting researchers with heavy data processing/scientific computing needs as well as enabling our DevOps-teams to deliver climate and forecast services to the public. Our users have increasing needs and we are looking to grow our infrastructure team to support this.
We are equally focused on building competency as well as enabling highly accomplished professionals to specialize further into specific fields in HPC and Scientific Computing.
- Administer and deploy Linux-based HPC and parallel file system servers and clusters
- Conduct installations of software releases, scientific codes, patches of the operating system, and third-party utilities with emphasis on overall system security, using technologies such as lmod, conda and software containers
- Apply parallel filesystem (Lustre) in production, participating in its troubleshooting, maintenance, performance optimization and expansion into the hundred plus Petabyte range
- Administer a batch queue/job submission system (SGE,SLURM)
- Collaborate with other team members to analyze, diagnose and respond to system problems and user questions in person, via email and ticket system
- Linux systems administration
- Automation of management routines
- Data centre work, such as racking and installing servers, and hardware maintenance
- 2. and 3. line technical support
Experienced in administering Linux servers and services:
- Knowledge of server and storage hardware, such as SAS JBODs, multipath
- Intermediate knowledge of parallel fileystems (Lustre)
- Practical knowledge of programming languages, in particular Python, C/C++, Julia, Perl. Exposure to Bash scripting. Familiarity with NetCDF/HDF5
- Experience using tools to automate IT infrastructure, such as Ansible or similar
- Higher education within IT or the natural sciences. Practical experience may compensate for a lack of formal education
- Fluent in English or Norwegian. English and Norwegian are the institute’s working languages
Experience with the following is an advantage:
- HPC graphic processing units/GPU hardware and software installation experience (CUDA), HPC interconnect (Infiniband, 10/25/40 Gigabit Ethernet)
- Managing virtualization solutions like OpenStack, Xen, KVM/libvirt or similar
- Singularity, Kubernetes or similar container management and orchestration systems
Security clearance might be desirable, and candidates who know or believe they cannot be security cleared are asked to inform about this in the application.
You are a resourceful person who delivers with precision and has good analytical abilities. You like to work in a team and easily get along with others.
- Technical challenges in a supportive, creative and technology focused environment
- A working environment focused on what benefits we provide to the community, sharing and openness
- A family friendly personnel policy
- The position is posted as a “senior engineer” (SKO 1181) or an “head engineer” (SKO 1087), and the hired person will get a position according to the experience and qualifications held
- The salary level will be for senior engineer within the start range of 626,100 NOK to 753.800 NOK, while head engineer will have a range of 574.700 NOK to 637.900 NOK. Especially qualified people will be considered for wages beyond this
- Membership of the Government Pension Fund (Statens Pensjonskasse), which is one of the country's best pension schemes with mortgage loans and good insurance schemes
- Central, modern offices at Blindern/Oslo Science Park, near the tram and subway
- 6 months mutual probation
We emphasize diversity and therefore encourage all those who are qualified to apply – regardless of age, gender, functional capacity, ethnic background, sexual orientation or gaps in the resume. The Government has invited to a joint effort for inclusion and has set a target that 5% of all new employees in the state should have impaired functional capacity or gaps in their resumes. The working conditions will be facilitated for employees with disabilities. Applicants who inform that they have reduced functional capacity will be invited to interview if they are qualified.
Application deadline: 25.05.22
Modern meteorology requires the handling and analysis of enormous amounts of data. People trust us. We wake up the public Norway when there is dangerous weather, and are behind Yr with several million users. Our special services are used for air pollution, oil spills, volcanic eruptions and nuclear accidents.
Our products and services are based on observations from around the world and on the results of numerical routines that model the state of the atmosphere and the ocean.