Hydro is committed to leading the way in shaping a sustainable future and in doing so, creating more viable societies by developing natural resources into products and solutions in innovative and efficient ways to industries that matter.
The Technology and Operational Support (TOS) unit is part of Hydro’s Aluminum Metal business area and has around 180 employees in Norway and Germany. The main task of TOS is to support commercial and operational units in improving Aluminum Metal’s profitability and sustainability in the short and medium term – while also having longer term technology development as a core activity.
Digital Production Support department in TOS is driving the digital development together with the Operational Support departments. We focus on cross functional Product Teams, DevOps and agile methodology to deliver value from digital transformation in the production area. Together with our long proven APICS (Aluminum Production Information and Control System) and HAL3000/4000 Control System solutions we are now focusing on developing and deploying digital tools within maintenance as well as analytical platforms in cloud and IoT solutions in the plants worldwide.
Our product and service portfolio are growing based on increased needs in the business, especially in the recycling area. We are looking for creative talents to join our cross functional product teams and to contribute to this exciting story! Our strategy and roadmap for the coming years includes major development activities for our in-house developed application portfolio in addition to an ambitious implementation program of these applications in our production sites across North America and Europe.
The right candidates will work closely with Integrated Operational Support departments in Technology & Operational Support, production units in Hydro, external technology suppliers and research institutions. As part of our team, you will be a key contributor improving our operational performance by developing and deploying our digital applications and platforms. Our products span from shop floor control and automation systems to analytic platforms in cloud, using modern technologies and methodologies.
Our key areas to focus on in the time to come
- Development and implementations of the in-house developed APICS portfolio including cloud and mobile solutions (Manufacturing Execution System)
- Development of our data and analytics platforms in Azure. Enabling and taking part in data science activities.
- Development and implementation of industrial IoT solutions
- Development and implementation of next generation process control system for electrolysis
- Development and implementation of digital tools for predictive maintenance
We are looking for candidates with various professional backgrounds, either with experience in developing digital solutions or newly graduated. You must have a creative mindset with ability to innovate and deliver efficient and user-friendly solutions.
- University degree (bachelor or master's degree), from e.g., automation, IT, cybernetics, computer science, software engineering or similar. Relevant experience can compensate for formal education
- Good knowledge within one or more of the following:
- Modern web development frameworks / platforms like Angular, Java Spring Boot
- Database technology like Oracle, SQLServer, Cassandra
- Azure (PaaS and IaaS), Kubernetes, Docker
- Control Systems and Embedded systems
- OPC UA, RabbitMQ
- Programming languages like Python, Java, C++
- Agile practices
- Ability to produce high quality content and services consistently and efficiently
- Fluency in English, written and spoken. Professional working proficiency in Norwegian, German or Brazilian Portuguese is an asset, but not a prerequisite
As a person, we believe you are results-oriented, and service-minded towards your customers. You combine an analytical mindset with a hands-on approach. You can work within different teams and with different tasks. Others perceive you as open, collaborative, and trustworthy, and you communicate effectively with all levels of an organization.
We offer an excellent opportunity to gain insight into the business of a global corporation while applying your expertise in analytics and data. This is a visible role with many interfaces, where you will apply your specialist competence as a system engineer to business areas and group functions. For the right candidate, the position offers an attractive platform for professional and personal development. At Hydro you will have the opportunity to travel and stay at our facilities in Europe, Asia, and America in connection with work related assignments.
The Digital Production Support department is currently located in Årdal and Oslo. The team works closely with Primary Metal operation and business assets. The positions may require some business travel.
Hydro Årdal offers fantastic surroundings, active environment in sports and outdoor life, music and voluntary organizations, location midway between Bergen, Trondheim and Oslo and an innovative technology environment. Read more about Årdal at https://dittardal.no.
Hydro Aluminum Metal a leading supplier of extrusion ingots, sheet ingots, foundry alloys, wire rods and high-purity aluminum with a global production network of around 5,000 employees. With primary metal production facilities in Europe, Canada, Australia, Brazil and Qatar, and recycling facilities throughout Europe and in the U.S., two-thirds of our primary aluminum production is based on renewable energy. Since 1905, Hydro has turned natural resources into valuable products for people and businesses with focus on a safe and good workplace for our 30,000 employees in more than 140 locations.